WELCOME!

This site is specifically designed for anyone, 18 yrs. or older,
who prefers heterosexual or general posts about
"The Man from U.N.C.L.E.",
David McCallum, Robert Vaughn,
and their alter egos.

Suggested posts include discussion forums,
fics (site links and self-promotion okay),
resources for writers,
pics and news about the guys.
Adult content is okay,
but please remember this is a "slash-free" zone!


Monday, January 25, 2010

Kuryakin-McCallum Monday - "A Night to Remember"

Since yesterday's topic was Robert Vaughn's "Young Philadelphians", I thought today's topic should be an early McCallum movie role. 

Most people are familiar with "A Night to Remember", based on the book by Walter Lord.  Mr. Lord's accounting of the story was based on survivors' recollections.  I recall seeing one of the Titanic documentaries, and a survivor commented that she could not watch "A Night to Remember" because it was so realistic.

During the 1990's David "revisited" the Titanic, narrating two documentaries about the search for the "Titanic".  There was a subsequent documentary, following the release of the movie, "Titanic", in which David spoke briefly about the filming of "A Night to Remember".

Cousins, what are your thoughts about the real Titanic movie, "A Night to Remember"?

4 comments:

Benzadmiral said...

When, in about 1968, I first saw "A Night to Remember" on late-night local TV, I was startled to see David in it, though I knew he'd done a lot of work before MfU. I caught a glimpse of it a few years ago, and realized all over again how your eye just goes to him any time he's on screen. Of course that might be because of my attachment to MfU --

As I recall, the film is tremendously realistic. (No, I can't compare it to James Cameron's flick. I'm that one person in the Western world who hasn't seen it.) It sports a solid performance, too, by English actor Kenneth More ("Sink the Bismarck!", a 1950s remake of "Thirty-Nine Steps," and PBS's Father Brown).

sharon said...

Hi i remember A Night to Remember and its a fare superior depiction of the events than Camerons Titanic.

Like most people, i resented the way the British merchant navy crew onboard the Titanic were portrayed as brutes in the latter film. As a matter of fact, they didnt use guns to stop the steerage passengers from gaining access to the limited lifeboats. That depiction was totally false

David gave a good performance in Night to Remember although his appearance was too brief

Cat - No. 1, Section I, Southeastern U.S. HQ said...

As far as I'm concerned, there is only one movie about the Titanic - "A Night to Remember".

It's ironic that my husband loves the newer movie. Reluctantly, I watched the second movie once, and I will not watch it again. To me, the second movie was an over-rated, sappy "chick flick". It was hardly more than a love story that took place on a doomed luxury ship. The second movie vaguely touches on only bits of the true story.

"A Night to Remember" had an excellent cast. Kenneth More gave a good, solid performance. Though the young wireless operator, Harold Bride, is not a major role, David's performance was very good.

I recall David's interview in the documentary which mentioned the filming of the movie. David talked about what a thrill it was to be the one who carried the telegraph message to the ship's captain.

Another of my favorite David scenes is when the few crew members and men from the ship locate a capsized lifeboat and stand on it. They have to constantly shift their weight to keep the boat balanced so they wouldn't be tossed back into the ocean by the waves.

David has a way of catching your attention whenever he's in the scene.

illyushadarling said...

I've always loved 'A Night to Remember' and revere it far over 'Titanic', which I consider an insult and a farce. And that has nothing to do with the fact that David was in my preferred film. I've simply never liked 'Titanic', because I feel it ignored the true story to focus on a ridiculous romance. But, then, I take my films about natural disasters and POWs, etc., very seriously.

I did just recently aquire the Criterion Collection's 'A Night to Remember', and will be posting caps of David from the film shortly on my LJ.

Post a Comment