WELCOME!

This site is specifically designed for anyone, 18 yrs. or older,
who prefers heterosexual or general posts about
"The Man from U.N.C.L.E.",
David McCallum, Robert Vaughn,
and their alter egos.

Suggested posts include discussion forums,
fics (site links and self-promotion okay),
resources for writers,
pics and news about the guys.
Adult content is okay,
but please remember this is a "slash-free" zone!


Monday, February 8, 2010

McCallum-Vaughn Monday: "The Magnificent Seven"

Not posting as often is becoming a challenge for me because I'm concerned that a) people will lose interest (I have some non-members who visit the site), and b) I find myself getting caught up with other projects.

Today's topic is "The Magnificent Seven", released in 1960, which gave Robert Vaughn another opportunity to show his acting talent.  "TMS" was a western with several heavy-hitting actors including Yul Brenner and Steve McQueen, directed by John Sturges (who subsequently directed "The Great Escape").  "TMS" was one of the first Vaughn movies I remember watching on television.  Like "The Great Escape", "The Magnificent Seven" is a movie that hasn't lost its appeal since its release.

Does anyone have any thoughts they would like to share about the movie?

3 comments:

Benzadmiral said...

I've watched "Seven" many times, and after the first time, not only for Vaughn. His character here is about as un-Solo-like as it's possible to be; after all, until about 1963 he usually played criminals and weak younger sons; and though his gunfighter proves himself tough and brave in the end, he spends a lot of time sitting on his horse looking drunk.

For me the big thing with this movie is the dialog:

Vin (Steve McQueen), to Eli Wallach's bandito, Calveras: "We deal in lead, friend."

Brad Dexter's Harry Luck, as he dies: "I'll be damned. . . ."
Brynner's Chris: "Maybe you won't be."
(A reference to the fact that Harry came back to fight for the villagers, and die at their side)

RV's Lee has the little moment when he snatches one (or two?) of three buzzing flies, impressing the villagers, and murmurs, "There was a time when I'd have caught all three --"

Vin: "After awhile you can call bartenders and faro dealers by their first name -- maybe two hundred of 'em! Rented rooms you live in: five hundred! Meals you eat in hash houses: a thousand! Home -- none! Wife -- none! Kids -- none! Prospects -- zero. Suppose I left anything out?"
Chris: "Places you're tied down to: none. People with a hold on you: none. Men you step aside for: none."
Lee: "Insults swallowed: none. Enemies: none."
Chris: "No enemies?"
Lee: "Alive."

Sharp stuff.

Cat - No. 1, Section I, Southeastern U.S. HQ said...

It was great stuff.

Maybe it's just my thought, but I think John Sturges had a great feel for story-telling.
He kept a story moving and compelling even in the quiet, less dramatic moments.

RV's Lee was an interesting character, quite different from the other gunfighters. It's been awhile since I've seen the movie, but Lee had the calm, polished and rather ruthless facade (as noted above in the "Enemies?" "None ... alive" reply. Under the surface, he was haunted by ghosts of his own making.

I forgot that Eli Wallach was in this movie. When I think of him, the Clint Eastwood movie, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" comes to mind. Wallach was good at being bad.

Though Chico, Chris and Vin survive, it was the farmers who won, and they (the seven) who lost.

We have another great Elmer Bernstein score in TMS. Bernstein had a way of capturing mood with music. Both TMS and "The Great Escape" are good examples of that.

Unknown said...

I'm embarrassed to say I've never once seen MAGNIFICENT SEVEN. Though I recently ordered the DVD and intend to watch it soon.

Post a Comment