WELCOME!

This site is specifically designed for anyone, 18 yrs. or older,
who prefers heterosexual or general posts about
"The Man from U.N.C.L.E.",
David McCallum, Robert Vaughn,
and their alter egos.

Suggested posts include discussion forums,
fics (site links and self-promotion okay),
resources for writers,
pics and news about the guys.
Adult content is okay,
but please remember this is a "slash-free" zone!


Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Writers' Wednesday - "The Final Affair"

On Channel D, there have been posts regarding "The Final Affair" written by MFU fic author, David McDaniel.  McDaniel's books were authorized publications, with adventures for the guys written in the style of the series, and were very popular.

If anyone is interested in obtaining a PDF copy of the story, please email me at kitti4940@yahoo.com, and I will be glad to forward your request for a copy of the manuscript.

2 comments:

Benzadmiral said...

I ordered my copy of this for the cost of postage several years ago; at that time it was not available anywhere for download, the way Wes Britton has it on Spywise. I'm glad I did. Though the story has some flaws that a good rewrite would have fixed, and McDaniel takes on too many plot elements for a shortish novel (40-50K words?), it has his playful flavor. In "Hollow Crown," he has Illya describe the Lab Chief, Mr. Simpson, as knowing almost everything and is fascinated by all of it. From reading his work, I gather McDaniel himself was the same way.

Any fan who liked his earlier work needs to read "Final."

Unknown said...

Since comments here can't be quite as long, I hope we don't need "spoiler space" (hate the concept) here?

***WARNING, DON'T READ PAST THIS POINT IF YOU DON'T WANT ANY SPOILER INFO ON FINAL AFFAIR!***

I don't like McDaniel's MfU books and I didn't like this one either. The only aspect I did like was that Solo fulfilled the promise for the character put forth in the series and took over Wavely's chair.

Waverly's death in the novel didn't bother me, though I thought it a bit glanced over. But Waverly was an old man. Having him go out fighting Thrush was a good way for him to go. Having him fade away from U.N.C.L.E. because of old age would have been much sadder.

The character of Joan Solo I absolutely abhored. She was too contrived. "Oh, Solo's supposedly dead wife has to have been Thrush and of course is secretly alive!" Cliche. And the idea Thrush would have been "keeping an eye" on Solo back before he even knew what U.N.C.L.E. was I found ludicrous.

Though Illya being recalled to the USSR and his naval service didn't upset me as a general concept (as it did keep the idea of him actually still being a Soviet citizen and not a defector as was stated in some of the MfU ACE novels by other writers), the parting between Solo and Illya is... well, it is nothing. It is pathetic, almost as if the two men had never been as close friends as they were. Almost as if they had not depended upon one another for their very lives for a good decade. All we get from Illya is a "Sometime again, Napoleon" as he trots off to the airport whileSolo says nothing at all.

This last is what bothered me the most about this novel; that ending between the two agents is a travesty.

Post a Comment