WELCOME!

This site is specifically designed for anyone, 18 yrs. or older,
who prefers heterosexual or general posts about
"The Man from U.N.C.L.E.",
David McCallum, Robert Vaughn,
and their alter egos.

Suggested posts include discussion forums,
fics (site links and self-promotion okay),
resources for writers,
pics and news about the guys.
Adult content is okay,
but please remember this is a "slash-free" zone!


Friday, January 29, 2010

Favorites Friday - McCallum roles

What a week!  We've had fairly warm temperatures; now we're cold again.  We've been trying to make arrangements today for what is supposed to be a massive snow storm.

Since we have had the topic of favorite Robert Vaughn roles, I thought I would ask about favorite television or movie roles of David McCallum besides Illya and Ducky. 

For me, it's easier to list the few roles I didn't like.  I refuse to watch "Morella" - I saw a few segments when it was posted on YouTube and decided ain't no way.  I wish I hadn't watched "Coming Home" - he plays a middle-aged pervert, trying to hit on a very young Kiera Knightley.  "Dirty Weekend" has David as a dirty, middle-aged dentist; that was a strange role for David.  "Shattered Image" begins with David polishing his desk in an unexpected way.  Beyond the first five minutes, it's not worth watching.

For good roles, if you haven't seen it, "Forms of Things Unknown" from the "Outer Limits" is on the internet.  This was just prior to MFU, and David is mesmerizing. 

So what do you say, cousins, what are your favorite McCallum roles?

6 comments:

sharon said...

First of all Cat i have to agree with you about the rubbish David appeared in.

My favourite Mcallum roles-
Invisible Man 1975 Dr Daniel Westin
The Forms of Things Unknown Tone
The Sixth Finger Mentally enhanced coal miner{sorry cannot remember the characters name}
Sapphire and Steel Steel

These good roles help to balance out some ot the rubbish hes appeared in, which just goes to show how undervalued David is as an actor

JanBeck said...

I was taken with the role he played on the British TV series ‘Boon’. I was following the show because I like Michael Elphick, who made the show work (his death was a sad loss). I was pleased to see DMC take a role in it, I found it interesting to see him play a successful business man bringing up a daughter. I imagine almost parallel with his real life, he was quite believable and I was impressed with the way he reverted to his British accent.

I also admired his role as Steel in Sapphire and Steel because I found the idea of DMC being something more than human quite intriguing!

But strangely it is his role in the A-Team, in the ‘Say Uncle’ affair which I found the best. Perhaps it was playing Ivan, a role which had echoes of IK, that most reminded me of the cool spy that he was. If only the ‘Return’ movie could have been more like that. Sigh!

Jan

illyushadarling said...

Oh, my, I have several other David roles that I really enjoy. Perhaps my favorite next to Illya is Flight Lieutenant Simon Carter in Colditz. And I completely adore his portrayal of Lieutenant Commander Eric Ashley-Pitt in The Great Escape. There are so many others, too, including his sweet, naive and funny Stanley Thrumm in Three Bites of the Apple. Oh, and Sir Alex Vesey in Mother Love. And Charlie Ritz in The Man Who Lived at the Ritz. And Holmann in The Ravine.

Well, I could go on and on, but I'll stop there. :-)

Cat - No. 1, Section I, Southeastern U.S. HQ said...

What can I say but yes to all of the above? I saw one episode of "Boon", and I thought David was wonderful.

Heavy sigh ....

sharon said...

Id forgotten about Davids fine performance as the quiet, humble and naive Stanley in Three Bites of the Apple. His character wasnt a wimp though, as he stood up and fought with Carlas ex husband

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed Mr. McCallum's role as the mixed up hood in "Violent Playground". Also do any of you remember the Hallmark Hall of Fame show titled "Teacher, Teacher"? He played a reformed alcoholic teacher who was hired to teach a retarded boy. I believe he was even nominated for an Emmy for the role.

Post a Comment